Wednesday, August 13, 2014

Top Ten Books I'd Give To Readers Who Have Never Read Contemporary YA



Top Ten Snoozeday. (Did you see what I did there? I'm hilarious.) Yes, late again...

As of now I've decided to do Top Ten Tuesday every two weeks. The decree has brought much joy to the queen. Once a week is pretty hard to do.

Top Ten Books I'd Give to Readers Who Have Never Read Contemporary YA

So you want to jump into the wonderful world of contemporary YA. Let me be your guide young Padawan. 

What is a contemporary novel you ask? It is a work of fiction set in the real world with no elements of fantasy or unrealistic things. Contemporary YA? Real world books for young adults!

10. We Were Liars by E. Lockhart


A recent YA book that is unique for its twists and mystery. It's on the list because A) it's actually a pretty fantastic book, B) it's not mushy like a lot of contemporaries C) I've never read another book quite like it. It's a good place to start.


9. The Last Song by Nicholas Sparks


I'll be upfront with you right now. I don't like Nicholas Sparks books. I find them rather too similar to each other. Plus I don't connect well with books about adult romances at this point in my life. However The Last Song is the wonderful black sheep of the family. It's emotional and I loved it. Also has a pretty great movie with back in the day Miley.

8. The Fault in Our Stars by John Green


Pretend for a second like you've never heard of The Fault in Our Stars.

Okay, you can stop now. It's just worth the hype.

7. Anna and the French Kiss by Stephanie Perkins


The best feel good teen romance out there in my opinion. Nobody is super angsty and it's in Paris for crying out loud.

6. Along for the Ride by Sarah Dessen


Sarah Dessen is without a doubt my favorite contemporary author. Nothing beats a good Sarah Dessen book. This one is one of the best ones. Auden is very serious and into her grades (hello self). Then she goes to her dad's for the summer and becomes a much cooler person, meets sweet friends, and falls in love. Super great.

5. The DUFF by Kody Keplinger


The Designated Ugly Fat Friend. One of those books most girls can just really connect to. Bianca is a snappy girl who doesn't pretend to like you or hold back. It's horribly refreshing. Plus Wesley Rush.

4. Just Listen by Sarah Dessen

Another from Ms. Dessen. This one deals with Annabel who after a fallout with a friend has been living a pretty passive life. Her sisters troubles are straining the whole family and she's basically alone. Enter Owen, a boy who never lies. This one is a bit darker and I loved it.

3. Fangirl by Rainbow Rowell


Cath is a socially awkward freshmen in college alone for the first time. I read this book last fall. When I was a socially awkward freshmen in college. It was kind of the best thing that ever happened to me at the time. It's adorable and heartwarming. Cath is the character I've related to the most in a book.

2. If I Stay by Gayle Foreman


The book that wins the award for the hardest I've ever cried during a book. It just tears up your soul in a wonderful way. Plus there's gonna be a movie!

1. The Truth About Forever by Sarah Dessen


The best YA contemporary book out there. Macy has been trying to be perfect ever since her dad died. Then one day she spontaneously takes a catering job and everything changes. She discovers that pretending isn't coping with her new friends.

2 comments:

  1. If I Stay is definitely a recommendation I could back, but other than that I don't think I've actually read many of these, apart from TFiOS, and I don't know that I would recommend that as an initial read myself. I do really want to read Fangirl, and all the love for it is getting me really excited! I'm very interested to see what I make of it, especially after having read and had mixed feelings over Eleanor and Park.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. These are some of my favorite contemporaries! TFIOS is just so widely known that I think anyone could read it now. I LOVE FANGIRL. IT IS SO GOOD. I felt the same way about Eleanor and Park. There were things I loved and a lot that I didn't. I like Fangirl a lot more!

      Delete